fear of the dark

Not only was I scared of monsters under my bed, I feared robbers, lord voldemort, my cousin who sleep-talks, chucky, cockroaches and a list of other horrible things that could happen as soon as the lights went out. I often cried for mommy or spent long long hours without being able to sleep. It was horrible.
Over the years I learned that it's not that easy to get inside of my house (without making a lot of noise at least), that movie and book characters tend to stay in their own world and although spirits and ghosts exists and they're around here a lot, they're cool. So technically I shouldn't feel scared anymore.
But still when I'm all alone I hear noises and my inside freezes. I still run up the stairs and I have to get out of bed once or twice to turn the lights on and/or go check if my mom and brother are breathing (aka snoring). That also didn't get any better after my dad died in his sleep and my mom woke me up screaming for help. I still think that people I love may die out of nowhere and this grants me another 45 minutes of toss and turning.
I pray, then. I pray every night. It makes those fears go away and peace comes back to my mind, In the morning I always laugh at how stupid I was, I'm so brave in the morning. I don't even love you during the day.
And then night falls...